Grant had no clue that I was planning to go to his first game against their biggest rivals.
But my head hurt. The kids wanted to watch a movie. And I was looking for any excuse not to go.
However, the thought of a ice cream treat was just enough motivation for me to load the car.
At the game, the kids tried to yell to their dad.
"Don't bug Dad; he's in game mode."
"But he was staring right at me."
"Just wait until half time and we will say hi right before he goes into the locker room."
The game was so exciting. Unfortunately, we were the second team to score, but in a cocky move, we went for a two-point conversion on our first touchdown. We were now ahead.
The leader board kept changing. The kids were now old enough to discuss strategy and game rules, but we were still excited for half time.
At half time, the players ran to the locker room. The kids and I assumed our position next to the gate and waited for Grant to pass us. Hollering his name again, he didn't notice.
"Just wait. He's coming."
I don't like to make a scene or identify ourselves especially since a couple years ago there were rude parents saying some awful things about "my coach".
Finally, within a foot of him, he realized it was us. Full of adrenaline, he picked up all four kids in one sweeping motion. He preceded to pull me in and gave me an uncharacteristic kiss at the game.
"I thought it was weird to have so many white people over here."
Even throughout the kids yells, he never recognized us.
Halftime came at 9:00, and I still had a long drive ahead, so we left. Nervous, I waited for the score.
At 2212, I got the text. We had won 48-42.
The next morning he said, "Last night when I saw you, I got a glimpse of what heaven will be like when I am reunited with my family."
Glad I made it to the game after all.

No comments:
Post a Comment