"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." -John Muir

Friday, January 9, 2009

Staying Postive (in spite of it all)

Here is my secret: I am human.

We had our third modified barium swallow yesterday. Not only is Herston not getting better, his dysphagia is getting worse. It is so hard waiting for the day when everything is going to be "normal". I had such high hopes. After being stressed out about twice a week therapy sessions, doctor specialists everywhere, and another close call, my friend sympathetically said, "Ruth, if you really think you are going to lose him, enjoy him now."

I have always said, "just wait until..." Just wait until I am done having kids, all my kids are potty-trained, they get into school, when we celebrate our tenth anniversary, or I lose the baby fat. "My life will start when I have kids" can quickly turn into "I will be happy when I am not pregnant."

...but the real question is "then what?"

If we are always waiting for life to begin, we will miss it. This was the best Christmas ever because I sat back and said, "this is the last time my kids will be this age."

So, today, as I prepare his thicker goo-formula bottle, I will try to think about how happy Herston is to see it. The pure excitement he gets when he eats, like he has never done it before, is simply contagious.

Another friend often states the blogging/journaling is therapeutic. I agree.

12 comments:

  1. this is a great post, ruth. thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herston is a good baby and it will all be worth it.
    Being positive is hard but if you want to know my opinion being negative is harder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have some seriously wise friends!

    way to be positive. and i SO needed to hear this. i often am looking to the next big thing and fail to enjoy the here and now.

    you are a genius. tests are super hard.

    hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant wait to see his excitement when he truly gets good food not thick goo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing this post. It's sometimes nice to know that Ruth is human because you know that Jenn and I think you're a superhero mostly :)

    This is a truly great reminder. Words to live your life by. Dang it, you still are a superhero to me. Herston has to have a great future with such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post. These are great words to live by and I need to remind myself that I need to do this as well, and I don't have the challenges that you.

    You ARE a superhero!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I am so glad he is with us and doing as well as he is. Truly finding "JOY" in the journey makes life a lot more enjoyable. But, I will keep praying! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sooo very guilty of the "it'll be great when yadda-yadda is done" and "Cant wait til this phase is over"....thanks for the the eloquent reminder.
    He is so adorable! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post, sounds like Herston (and the family) needs our prayers as much as ever. Love you all and your friend is right, enjoy the moments!!! Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right in that blogging is therapeutic for not only those who write them but for those of us who are able to share in your thoughts and events. I so enjoy looking at my love ones blogs to see and hear what is going in their lives. All our children are blessings and you so remind us to remember that. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Love you, Auntie Em

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post brought tears to my eyes. You are amazing. Thanks for reminding me what is important!

    ReplyDelete