"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." -John Muir

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sometimes

Sometimes, on really bad days, I remember when they wouldn't guarantee I would even be able to take him home. I remember praying by a baby on a ventilator for two weeks because he wouldn't breath on his own. I remember how they wouldn't let me touch him because it was too much stimulus. I remember finally holding him again after several weeks.

I remember not wanting to take pictures of my baby because he was so swollen and sickly. I remember not wanting to remember any of it.


And then I remember saying I would do whatever I needed to do to keep him. I knew I was signing up for a battle.

His swallowing is getting worse; there is more deteriation...but he knows how to smile.

15 comments:

  1. I really like this post.

    It makes me incredibly sad that his swallowing is getting worse.

    But it makes me incredibly glad that Herston is so happy, and can walk and smile and laugh. And that he has a family that loves him so much. And that he has a mom who can and will take on a full time job of getting him better!

    I love you Herston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, when I get a little overwhelmed at the idea of bringing home two little boys, I think to myself...if Ruth can handle everything she does, I can handle this. I remember being scared to death in the middle of the night and Ruth calming my fears.

    It's so sad that Herston has to go through this struggle, but he's got the best mom and family to be there to support him and love him. If anyone can help him get better, Ruth can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. So sad to hear. But your attitude is remarkable. And you are remarkable. And that is one cute little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. agree with Jenn (well, not about bringing twins home, but everything else ;)

    He sure DOES know how to smile. Seeing pics of him smiling totally brightens my day, as I'm sure seeing it in person does for you, daily. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is a handsome little guy with a great smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Herston is an amazing guy! It melts my hard to see how happy he is even if things are getting worse. Kids get the family through so much. He has the best mom and family in the world. My thoughts are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Herston has the best support system in the world - he is happy and very loved. We love you and will keep you and family in our thoughts and prayers. Love ya, Auntie Em

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can certainly sympathize with you on dealing with the horrible feelings of uncertainty. As mothers, all we can do is hug & kiss, push-on in the direction we feel things need to be going with all the vigilance required, and throw in a few extra hugs & kisses for good measure, which is exactly what you are doing. You are exactly the mom Herston and the gang need. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH crap that sucks!! darn it! hugs for you and Herston. he's such a doll. love his smile and his sweet personality. you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this kid!! i love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes we have to wonder about the whole thing. We don't (usually) get to choose our trials but our true character comes out in how we handle them. I think you and Grant are amazing and your other kids are such great support. Herston's bright smile and cheerful disposition is beyond amazing. We will keep praying that life gets easier for him (and you)! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruth, and Grant,
    We all love you and admire the way you live your lives.
    Being a parent isn't for sissies!!
    We are praying for your beautiful baby boy, and for all of you .
    love ya aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's a beautiful baby. I appreciated your testimony on Sunday.
    Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate that he has such a struggle, but oh my goodness, he has the sweetest smile and really does put a smile on everybody else's face!!

    My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete