"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." -John Muir

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Larissa's Birth Story

Being married to a teacher, I decided I wanted the next baby in the summer, so I could get post-partum help during his long break. I also knew this would mean the babies would be close in age.

At this same time, Grant said I couldn't keep a secret. I was going to show him!

I got pregnant right on time. I fought through the morning sickness, and I didn't tell Grant I was pregnant.

I continued to play soccer. During one intense game, I was hit in the belly with the ball. It hurt, but I didn't notice changes in my symptoms.

A couple weeks later, Grant wanted to clean the garage with me.

"No, babe. I can't. I'm too tired."

He bugged me until I finally said, "because I'm pregnant." Unfortunately, he didn't believe me. He later was upset with my anti-climatic announcement.

Just a few hours later, I started bleeding. A lot. I had known I was pregnant for over 5 weeks, but Grant was just barely getting used to the idea.

And now I was a threatened miscarriage.

We went for an emergency ultrasound. My doctor said, " if the tech shows you the heart rate, there is a 80% chance everything will be ok. If she doesn't say anything or says I will get back to you, you have lost your baby."

We went as a family. Grant stayed outside with Ethan and Raea, and I had the ultrasound by myself. I was scared, mad, and alone for one of the biggest moments I had gone through at that point. Had I lost my baby?

And then, there it was. The flashing light. She was ok... for now.

I was miserable for the rest of the pregnancy, but there was a part of me that was always glad for my pregnancy symptoms. It meant I was still pregnant.

Around 30 weeks, I started contracting. I was placed on oral terbutaline. I hated the way it made me feel. It was like a caffeine rush, without the benefits. My heart raced and my hands would shake.

And I continued in early labor for five more weeks. Finally, we had to go to the hospital because the contractions were regular. Too late for steroids. Too early for delivery.

They decided to do an amniocentesis to check for lung maturity. The bad news came... Her lungs weren't ready.

So I was "mag-ed". Basically to stop labor and the muscle contracting of the uterus, health care professionals give you intravenous magnesium which shut off all muscles. I remember laying in my hospital bed and feeling trapped because I couldn't move. The worst experience ever!

The next morning, they sent me home because the monitor was no longer picking up my contractions. I cried knowing that I still felt them.

I returned that same night. Because I was having back labor, they still didn't see any contractions. They decided to mag me again based upon my regular complaints of pain and contractions. I cried.

They decided to check my cervix and realized I was too dilated to stop. They told me I would have to have a NICU baby. I actually gave birth on the most powerful medication healthcare has to offer to stop preterm labor.

And as soon as she came out, I sighed! I had been in labor for well over a month, and I felt so good!! The pain and pressure was gone, and I still had to deliver the placenta.

35 weeks. 5#12 oz. 19.5 inches. She stayed in the NICU overnight, and in the morning, they released her to my care. She needed no additional support.

~*~*~*~

Although I hated her pregnancy and long term early labor, I felt so good right after delivery. She was my fastest recovery. I was running a half marathon only after a couple months.

And I loved having a healthy, but small baby. I carried her everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been to your blog in a while but so enjoyed reading and catching up this morning. I love knowing your life experiences. I love being able to know about you and the kids. Love you all, Aunt Emily

    ReplyDelete